What it entails
- Conventional Progressive Rehabilitation
- Unique Integrated Approach
- Post-Op & Sports Rehabilitation
- Hand Therapy
Hand Therapy is rehabilitation performed on patients with complex conditions, injuries and surgeries affecting the hands, wrists and elbows. This type of therapy is performed at Physio Logic by a therapist with advanced continuing education.
What does hand therapy provide?
Preventative, non-operative or conservative treatment:
- Management of pain, both acute and chronic
- Desensitization following nerve injury or trauma
- Sensory re-education after nerve injury
- Design and implementation of home exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity, and/or strength
- Training in the performance of daily life skills
- Conditioning prior to returning to work
Postoperative Rehabilitation may additionally inlcude:
- Management of scars or sutured wounds
- Control of hypersensitive scars
- Reduction of swelling
- Instruction in home exercise program
Common Injuries Seen for Specialized Hand Therapy
Overuse / Repetitive Injuries:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Tennis Elbow (lateral epicondylitis)
- Golfer’s Elbow (medial epicondylitis)
- Trigger Finger
- Mallet Finger
Chronic Hand Conditions:
- Arthritis: Rheumatoid or Osteoarthritis
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- DeQuervain’s Disease
- Raynaud’s Syndrome
- Writer’s Cramp
- Musician Injuries
Acute or Traumatic Hand Injuries:
- Ligament Injuries
- Post-Operative Rehab for Upper Extremity Conditions
- Radial and Ulnar Nerve Palsy
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
- Upper Extremity Sports Injuries
MEET YOUR TEAM
CLINIC DIRECTOR & PHYSICAL THERAPIST
Dr. Sarah Rodriguez, DPT
DOCTOR OF PHYSICAL THERAPY
Dr. Eva Shi, DPT
DOCTOR OF PHYSICAL THERAPY
Dr. Tracey Luong, DPT
DOCTOR OF PHYSYCAL THERAPY
Read More on Hand Therapy
In the realm of medical afflictions, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) emerges as a...
Many acute injuries or repetitive stress injuries can come from sports such as...
By: Amy Montia, Licensed Massage Therapist. Acupressure is one of the many...
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What Is Hand Therapy?
Hand therapy in Brooklyn is a specialized form of therapy that aims to focuses on rehabilitating and treating conditions related to the hand, wrist, and forearm. It aims to assist and improve hand function and alleviate pain for individuals in the Brooklyn area.
What Will A Hand Therapist Do?
A hand therapist in Brooklyn will evaluate and treat various hand and upper extremity conditions. They will design personalized rehabilitation plans, which may include exercises, manual therapy, splinting, and other techniques to enhance hand mobility and function, getting patients back to do what they do on a daily.
Is There Physical Therapy For The Hand?
Yes, there is physical therapy available for hand-related conditions in Brooklyn. Hand therapy is a subspecialty within physical therapy that addresses hand and upper extremity issues to help individuals regain optimal hand function in the hand that the issue resides.
How Effective Is Hand Therapy?
Hand therapy in Brooklyn has proven to be effective in treating and enhancing hand function, reducing pain, and improving the overall quality of life for patients. The success of hand therapy depends on various factors, including the condition being treated, the individual’s dedication to therapy, and the expertise provided by the hand therapist.